I always desire to have a winter vacation in Hong Kong. Though, I actually have experienced it last 2013 with my family, see HERE, but such desire never ceases and is always haunting me. Whenever December arrives, the hopes reach its acme. Thankfully, January of this year, my wishful thinking and flaming desires turned to reality, again!
Taken at the Nan Lian Garden in Diamond Hill
Why have a Vacation on Winter time?
Despite I easily get cold feet and hands when temperature drops, I am so in love with winter time as it provides an entirely fresh sense of being assuredly away from home, which screams, you're on vacation! And, the fact that winter does not visit the Philippines makes the season more exciting. More so, dressing-up for a winter season is such a fun and stimulating activity. Even the thought of wearing my boots certainly thrills me.
Early morning walk at the streets of Tsim Sha Tsui
Why Hong Kong?
As Hong Kong is just a 3-hour "affordable" flight from our city in the Philippines and it experiences the four kinds of seasons, this famous tourist destination is the number one in my list of go-to places for Winter! Though my first travel to Hong Kong on 2007 did not leave any positive impressions, but those opinions have changed after a few years as I began to be in so much awe with Hong Kong since 2013 then. Aside from the many reasons to love Hong Kong, one thing is for sure: I love Shopping in Hong Kong. Fashion and trends sprouts from all shopping districts and these are reflected by the people who are mostly in striking, chic and sophisticated style.
Camouflaging at a famed wall art on the stretch of the Central-Mid Level Escalators in Hong Kong
Due to my travel experiences, I have somehow mastered to pack just the right quantity and quality of clothes since I learned the hard way that planning ahead the itinerary and the clothing to match that itinerary is the number one travel packing tip!
12 Travel Essentials to Pack for A Winter Vacation in Hong Kong
1. Plan your daily itinerary and plan an outfit to match those itineraries.
2. Check for the temperature of your travel dates to ensure that you are ready to fight the chilly weather.
3. Pack your light weight body warmers: long sleeves and leggings, you can purchase some of these at UNIQLO, made of good materials and certainly ultra light weight.
4. Bring some of your basics: your favorite denim jeans and plain tees that you may want to layer on.
5. Take with you some skirt or dresses to inject frills for some romantic moments or unexpected soiree.
6. A pair of sneakers and boots are good to go and remember to put on socks.
7. Coats, knit sweaters and even blazers can make you cozy and warm too.
8. Hats, beanies and ear muffs does not only protect the head and ears but also add some flair and glam to your outfit.
9. Squeeze in some accessories for a more interesting travel style. Don't forget to tote the most important winter accessory: the scarf!
10. To avoid unnecessary wrinkles from squinting, bring sunglasses. Despite that it is a freezing season, it does not mean that Mr. Sun will not surface, he sure does!
11. If you are not so into make-up, moisturizer and lip balms are still a must to beat the wintry temperature and to avoid flakes and cracks.
12. A sturdy bag that can secure all your essentials: gadgets, toiletries, travel documents, wallets, etc. It is recommended that the bag must be light weight in material and with a strap long enough to be carried by the shoulders. A cross body bag is a better option too.
Unwinding at a small park opposite to The Whampoa in Hung Hom, Hong Kong
Question now is:
how to remain chic yet still comfortable with your planned outfits while out and about in Hong Kong during a winter vacation?
At a playground adjacent to the Garden of the Stars in Tsim Sha Tsui
Top 3 Secrets to Be Comfy yet Chic to a Winter Vacation in Hong Kong
1. Wear clothing that are winter-appropriate. Of course, you are to do so since your body will ultimately complain with that temperature plunge. This will surely provide you optimum comfort.
2. Wear your personal style through your choice of winter outfits. I am advocating color coherence with my own style and this is highly manifested with my daily wintry outfits. I truly believe that color coordination is always a smart decision to appear instantly chic and fashionably harmonized.
3. Wear clothing that provides your body sufficient room for mobility. Ensure your outfits are free from discomforts and are in good shape and fit as these parameters will blatantly exhibit cool (comfy) and sophistication (chic) in the way you communicate your style and personality with the fashion people of Hong Kong.
Posing in front of a mirror display in one of the boutiques at the Fashion Walk in Causeway Bay
Though we have only five days to explore the islands and districts of Hong Kong, but I have several outfit changes per day depending on the change in temperature, environment grumbles and the particular destination that we planned to traverse and enjoy. Like for example, the mask above was not part of my original outfit, but I had to put it on since the whole area that we were wandering in one of the reputable districts of Hong Kong island was polluted with cigarette smoke. However, the mask complemented with the color scheme of my ensemble, a bonus for a funky and chic style.
At the grounds outside New Town Plaza in Sha Tin, Hong Kong
The outfit that I wore on the above photo was exactly the same outfit as with the topmost (first photo on this post) picture. Since the weather that time was still between 20-22 degrees Celsius, hence the supposed chilly wind was not that chilly after all. So, I took off the long coat, rolled the long sleeves of my two-tone dress, worn as a top, into a quarter-sleeve to provide more air to my arms, draped a matchy scarf on my neck and tada! I created a whole new look.
The bearable frosty weather permitted me to wear my skirts and dress with a length a little above and on top of the knee without leg warmers underneath. But I still put on some socks to reduce the chills isolated on my feet.
At the Peak in Hong Kong Island
At Kowloon Park in Kowloon, Hong Kong
I love textures and anything that glitters as these emit vibrancy to any outfit. Hence, I did not miss those sparkles on to my outfit and strutted them on a day stroll at the park.
Traveling during winter to your favored destination is always a fascinating and celebrated experience. The unfamiliar weather, the cultural immersion, the bustling and vibrant day-to-night districts, the portrayal of the fashion conscious and style adamant in the streets and the melange of calm and chaotic urban life establishes Hong Kong as one of my top 3 places to frequent for-e-ver. And more to that, Hong Kong also grants me reasons to play dress-up for a season that comes in to my life when only sought for.
Hope to have shared some useful travel and style tips.
Travel and Live in YOUR style, every day!